Pages

Friday 2 September 2011

Seminars, conferences and other events - Thing 15 (cpd 23 Things)

Conference.  A word to strike fear into the hearts of those who don't like to make small talk.  I think there are more of those who would care to admit it, judging by the numbers of people who go to conferences with a colleague.  And in my shame I"m afraid to say that at the last conference I went to, I did seek out some people who I knew and ended up standing in a space that was supposed to pass as a garden talking about the new series of Midsomer Murders starting that evening, and was it worth missing the last session in order to get home for it?  I didn't admit that I had never seen it.  

Possibly this means that the conference wasn't very interesting?  

Anyway.  

I went to a few conferences in my former life as a careers information officer, but have never presented myself.  I've read many accounts of professionals who urge that whatever your professional position, you can contribute something, but I've never felt sure about this.  The service I previously worked at, in all honesty, offered little possibility of innovative practice (too little money) and I now don't work in the information profession officially.  It's been a while since I've been to a conference of any type.  In any case, I hope that one day I'll be in a position to feel I have something to speak about in which others would be interested.  

I''m hoping that I can expand my research literacy knowledge by attending seminars about research practice at some point.  I find this interesting because I can look at research from both ends of the spectrum - as an information professional and as a researcher.  

No comments:

Post a Comment